Friday, July 19, 2013

God’s Bigness (Part 3 of 6)


God’s Bigness (Part 3 of 6)

After being attacked once by Satan and losing all that Job had lost, most people would have reacted the way Job’s wife had:  “Curse God and die”.  I can’t imagine losing the little that I have or my children but to lose all of that in a few moments time and then to lose my health an wife on top of all that loss would be unbearable… without a great big GOd. 
Job tells us just how big his God is by his reaction.  After the first attack: Then Job arose and tore his robe and shaved his head and fell on the ground and worshiped. And he said, “Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked shall I return. The Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord.” In all this Job did not sin or charge God with wrong.   Job 1:20-22 (emphasis mine) He worshiped.  He did not ask why or why me.  He worshiped! He did not sin, he did not tell God he chose the wrong person, He worshiped!
After the second attack, his wife suggested “Curse God and die”.  Emotionally she was hurting just as much if not more than Job.  Before you condemn her for that reaction, remember, these things had happened to her as well. Job said “You speak as one of the foolish women would speak. Shall we receive good from God, and shall we not receive evil.”  I don’t suggest that any man say the things that Job said to his wife, but I think we all need to be rebuked once in a while. 
Once again, Job’s reaction speaks of how big God was to Job: In all this Job did not sin with his lips.  Oh that our God would be that big to us!

No comments:

Post a Comment